Monday, March 16, 2015

Week in the Life | Grad School First Semester Edition

I've been in grad school for two+ months now and somehow they have been the quickest yet longest two months of my life. I have a feeling that's how I'm going to feel about the entire program. I don't know if I have posted this yet or not, but the Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Program at Grand Valley State is an one year accelerated program. That means that it's only four semesters long, from January 2015 to April 2016 for my cohort. The first three semesters are 16 credits each and the final semester is a full time internship. This type of program has both pros and cons. As you can imagine it is extremely intense, but you also get out into the field quicker and therefore can start making money quicker. It is a great fit for me since I took a year off after finishing my undergrad and then didn't get into any grad schools the first time around. There are still days that I can't believe that I'm actually in grad school and that in thirteen months I'll be an SLP.

Now that I've given some background I figure I'd write out the typical week for me during this first semester (and through out the rest of the program), similar to my DITL posts. Since everyday is different I figured a weekly view would work better.





Monday | I was one of the few lucky ones in my cohort that has Monday's "off." This has allowed me to work with one of my professors from 3pm-9pm doing Hippotherapy, providing speech therapy while the client is riding a horse. She is one of the few certified in the country and it is fascinating to be a part of it.

Tuesday | I'm up bright and early to make it to my Statistics class at 8am, blahh! Once class is over I head to my placement site, which this semester is at The Grand Rapids Veterans Home. It is a extended care facility for Michigan Veterans and I love the members there! I work in two cognitive language groups and then feed a member with Dysphagia during lunch time. I'm done for the day around 4pm. Usually we meet our friends for Trivia night every Tuesday :)

Wednesday | Another day off. Like I said, I really lucked out with my schedule this semester. I usually run errands, do chores, and homework.

Thursday | Stats at 8am again. It's really unfortunate that our program requires this class haha I then have a little break before my child lab starts. This lab is on campus and we have children in the community volunteer to come in and play/get tested with us. Once lab is over I have 6 hours before my night class starts so I head home. Unless I have an exam or homework due I usually take a nap during break :) Then my night class is from 6-9pm.

Friday | This is our tough day. We're in class from 9-4:30, two 3 hour classes and then a seminar. Come 5pm Friday evening I just want to collapse on the couch.

And there's my week in a nutshell :) Pretty relaxing as far as grad school schedules go and I'm soaking up every minute of it, because next semester is a whole different ball game!

1 comment :

  1. I really want to go back to school, but then some days I really don't. I definitely don't miss homework, but I'm glad you love it and seem to be finding a lot to do and keep busy :)

    ReplyDelete