Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Day in the Life | Clinical Fellowship

One of my favorite posts to read as well as to write are "day in the life" posts. A peak into what a typical day looks like during a certain stage of life. I love looking back at these posts and seeing how different life was. As they say the days are long, but the years are short. Here's what a typical weekday looks like for me as I'm completing my Clinical Fellowship.
My alarm goes off at 6:00am and no matter how early I go to bed the night before it's always hard for me to wake up. No matter how hard I try I am just not a morning person. I typically roll out of bed around 6:30am get ready, run around packing my bags, and hit the road by 7:00am.

I have a 25 minute drive West, which I think is the perfect commute time. It gives me time to wake up/mentally prepare for the day, but it isn't too long to the point where I feel like I'm always in the car.
School starts 7:50am, but I don't see my first student until 8:15am so I take my time checking my email, lesson planning, and getting materials ready.
From 8:15am until 3:00pm I see students. I typically see them in groups of 2 or 3, for 25 minute sessions. On Monday I start at the middle school, head to the high school, and then finish at the elementary school. Tuesdays and Thursdays are my busiest days; I see TWELVE groups! It is a bit crazy and forces me to eat my "lunch" at 10:00am. I do this so that I can have my Fridays open for meetings, testing/screening, and make ups. On Wednesdays I see my preschoolers and the students who only need to be seen 1x/week.
As a grad student I never grasped the amount of paperwork a caseload of 64 would entail. I swear it's never ending. Last week Medicaid billing AND progress reports were due. You could say it was quite the week... I typically leave work around 3:30pm.
Once home I take Duke for a walk, change into comfortable clothes, clean up the apartment, start laundry, feed Duke, etc. I also finish any work that I had to bring home with me.
Then it's time to cook dinner, if it isn't already cooking in the crockpot. Thomas usually gets home from work around this time and we eat dinner together before hanging out for the rest of the evening. I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm (Grandma status) and I call it a day.

And just for giggles... check out some of the artwork my Kindergarteners made :) LOL

No comments :

Post a Comment